Ever wondered how to create Linux USB installer?
To install Windows | Linux | Anti-virus Rescue Disks from single USB stick.
I will cover 3 steps in this tutorial.
- Tools Required
- Create Kali Linux bootable USB
Benefits of Linux Live USB
- Freedom – Select between multiple OS’s on boot time. No need to install OS’s one by one from USB as traditional USB boot creator programs like Unetbootin and others limited user to install single OS on a USB at a time.
- Linux Live USB – Most Linux distributions can be tested without installing on system.
- Persistence – All the commands executed in terminal or files copied/downloaded vanishes when the live OS restarts.
Persistence feature gives the power to hold the data/information on the Live USB even if the system is restarted .
- Rescue Disk – Anti-virus program like Kaspersky, Norton, AVG etc provides bootable ISO file with latest virus definitions that allows a user to rescue their system when critically infected by viruses. In case when system does not boot up , rescue disk is very helpful.
YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer) – A tool that allow a user to create bootable USB with multiple OS’s (Operating Systems) installed from an ISO file for each.
It is download-and-execute program i.e You do not need to install it anyway. Just download and run the file.
You can download latest version of YUMI from their Official site : www.pendrivelinux.com
How to Create MultiBoot USB?
- Start the YUMI program and click “I Agree“.
- Select your USB from the Drop-Down menu.
F:\ (MULTIBOOT) in my case.
- Now click the Drop-Down menu and select “Windows Vista/7/8/10 Installer” then click browse and select the ISO file.
[Optional] – You may also format the drive by selecting the Format checkbox .
- Click next then Yes. Wait for the Process to complete
- When the program completes it will ask you for adding another Distribution i.e Operating System
click “Yes” if you want to add another Operating System
else Click No and Close.
Installing Kali Linux on USB
Step 2: Select the “Kali Linux” from the Drop-Down menu and select your Kali Linux ISO file.
Repeat Step 3 on wards.
NOTE: USB Partition type MUST BE FAT32 . If you are Using multiple OS on USB drive.
If installing only Windows then NTFS Partition will work fine.
“Detect and Mount CD-ROM Fix” – Kali Linux Installation
It was seen that Kali Linux is showing error while installation unlike other Linux distribution.
So here is a solution you can use any time using your Kali Linux bootable USB.
When you see this error screen
Click continue and it show you a list of options.
Go for “Execute a shell“. Click Continue
Now type the following
and check for /dev/sdb1, most probably it should be /media
rm -r /cdrom/
ln -s /media/multiboot/kali-linux-2.0-amd64 /cdrom
NOTE: In my case I have been using Kali 2.0 64-bit. Yours can be different. Use appropriate version. In case you don’t know just press <TAB> after /media/multiboot/kali-linux- to check for auto completion.
What we have actually done is that we have removed the contents for /cdrom directory and linked the kali-linux-2.0-amd/ content to /cdrom directory using ln command.
This tricked the installer into thinking the files on the USB thumb drive were located on an installer CD. The issue will be resolved and the installer will be able to proceed past the point it was stuck at.
Now you can continue with the installation simply
Now you have Windows ,Linux and/or Anti-virus Rescue disk on your USB drive.You can boot it on any system.
Simply plug-in your USB ,Re/start the system and set your USB as first Boot priority and install Windows from USB or run Live Linux.
Now that you’ve installed Kali Linux on your USB, you might like to have a look into WiFi pentesting too. Click the image below to have a look at the WiFi Pentesting and Security eBook I released recently
Booting options may differ with different systems (manufacturer)
SanDisk Ultra Fit CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 (International)
Using USB 3.0, your Installation will finish much faster than that of 2.0
So did it work for you ?
Before you reboot, leave me a comment below and let me know your views about the post.
Your feedback is valuable!